Monday, January 19, 2009

Comment

I have, at one point or another, belonged to many a community and at all of those communities, commenting has been kind of a big deal. People encourage it - they long for it. And I get that. Comments are nice. They make you feel warm and fuzzy and like people actually care about your inane blather that you insist on sharing on the interwebs. Sure, comments, depending on their nature, can sometimes have the capacity to make you feel like crap, but most people have the good sense to keep that shit to themselves.

Me, I'm not much of a comment whore. I have blogged for going on a decade now and for the first 2/3rds of that decade, my blogs were geared towards my immediate friends and family - if they had something to say, they called. (And, oh, they did.) In fact, the only time I used to get comments, my stomach would lurch and bile would rise up in my throat because the only people who were driven to leave comments were those that didn't know how to get ahold of me by a more personal means and those people are almost always bad for my psyche. So, long story short - I love comments. They do make me feel warm and fuzzy, but if I never get one, that's OK with me.



All right, that's really not what this was about.

Gotcha.

What I was going to say is that as much as I've never been particularly eager for comments, and as much as I'm always willing to espouse my personal opinion on my own blog - I've never been one to leave comments. There's something about scattering my personal opinions on other people's corners of the world that makes me...uncomfortable. So, for the most part, I just don't. Sometimes I want to say something - and occasionally it's even witty, but I just don't. But lately, I've been...inspired.

I never say anything profound and rarely is it interesting, but I've felt compelled in recent months to post wishing people a good time on their trips or letting them know my personal method for achieving the maximum possible amount of "crap shoved in a flat rate postal box" with the minimum amount of "held together completely by packing tape that will give way at any moment."

All in all, it's not as scary as I thought it would be. :P

1 comment:

  1. it is interesting how people don't tend to comment as I have way more readers than I do commenters but I don't mind it so much. I love reading comments but I don't aim my posts to get comments.

    I was not into commenting for a long time and then once I did i just couldn't stop. Always lovely to hear your thoughts on my blog. Keep them coming. :)

    ReplyDelete