Friday, January 2, 2009

A Year In Review

Because nothing says "nice to meet you" like a year in review.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? I went sky diving. For my birthday no less. I also surprised everyone in the entire world by announcing that it was one of the duller experiences of my youthful existence. (Seriously not worth the $160 unless you’re actually considering that there may be a possibility you’re going to die and you fear that possibility. Skydiving – not for the fatalistic.) Oh, and went to State Street in Madison on Halloween.


(Not Pictured: Me. I was Punky Brewster. Also, the line of cops outside of the Orpheum.)


2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? My New Year’s resolution since the age of about eight has usually been to loose weight and be healthier. On the former, I failed. (2022 – You’re my year!) On the latter, I probably succeeded a lot - but only if mental health counts. Just kidding. Every year I make a resolution in every area of my life. At work, I vow to be more X. At home, I want to try to R. With regard to my family, I’m going to try to Y. This year I’ll learn to F. (Cuz F and R don’t get enough respect.) I do this so that I don’t spend New Years eve drinking for all of the wrong reasons.

This year, I think I’ll stick to that formula, learn to make Macaroons, be more careful with my finishing details on sewing projects (perhaps by learning to topstitch without it looking like a Dr. Seuss garment?) … plus a few dozen other little and big hurdles :)



3. Did anyone close to you give birth? If physical proximity counts, the girl that used to sit in the cubicle behind me popped just a few weeks ago. She gave birth to a bouncing baby girl and with whom I shared the second “OMFGNEVERHAVINGCHILDREN” moment of my life – the first being shared with my mother in the delivery room, of course. (hint hint – I wasn’t the one being delivered. Majorly gross at 7.) Do you remember that scene in Devil’s Advocate with the chick who played Keanu Reeves wife…when her skin started, I don’t know – boiling? That’s sort of what I felt like I was looking at when I was walking down one of the cube-farm corridors to hear her exclaim “Look, the baby is moving!” only to look up and seephysically see – the baby moving from like five feet away!



Charlize Theron, you've never been more gross.


4. Did anyone close to you die? For the first time in more than a few years, I can honestly say that we only crashed one funeral this year and it was for a Great Uncle. I think. To be honest, I’m not sure. He was one of those relatives that I can only recall seeing a handful of times after I turned six and anything that happened before that doesn’t really count. Mostly, we went for my Grandparent’s, who remember him somewhat better than I did. It was short, sweet and, aside from the military aspect (which always kills me.) completely what it should have been.


5. What places did you visit? This year, I went a whole lot of no where – unless you count the state of Ikea bliss I slid into as I found $1 shower curtains and tempered glass serving bowls for $3.

how thou art loved by crappy apartments everywhere?


6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? More outside fun. We’re sort of hermits.


7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? May 23rd. And Friday the 13th. We signed the lease on the 23rd and moved on Friday the 13th. Surprisingly, we’ve had one of the easiest years in a long time. Go freakin’ figure :P


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Moving on. For me, that’s always been difficult and, this year, I moved on from a lot.


9. What was your biggest failure? Saving. I wanted to do a lot better than I’ve done. I wanted to be totally butch about it and not bow to anyone. I, erm, didn’t. I mean, don’t get me wrong, we still saved – but I wanted to save MORE.


This is my dream. No. Seriously. If I every get really rich, I am going to take a large sum of money, convert it into coins, have it all sanitized and put it in a gigantic pile and then jump in it. It sounds...*sigh* glorious.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury? In February – I think it was February I came down with a 24-hour flu that reminded me how thin the line between reality and insanity really is. I truly, honestly, wanted to die. If I could have gotten up and walked far enough to get a gun, I’d have killed myself. I fucking hate the 24-hour flu bug. Somehow the fact that it only lasts a day never makes you feel better.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
The rabbit. Definitely the rabbit. Or the computer. Or possibly the TV. Maybe the immersion blender? Man, we moved! I bought a lot of stuff this year!


12. Whose behavior merited celebration? I know this might be hokey but I have to give big up’s to M for this year. If you’d told me last year at this time that we would be where we are a year later, I’d have laughed at you.


13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? I think I’ll save the specifics for a wag of the finger later, but in general, I think we’re making a rather appalling turn for the worse in a lot of ways.


14. Where did most of your money go? At a guess, moving expenses and related bills. Rent, thine are the bane of my existence :P


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Our future college boy.




16. What song will always remind you of 2007? Song? God, I don’t know. Sunshine – Atmosphere, maybe. Or Ear to Ear – Brother Ali. I may not have made it, but it’s hella better.


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? Oh how I would love to lie – but I learned how to make these and no one can expect to say “thinner” with that kind of power at their fingertips.
c) richer or poorer? Richer. Because I may not have hit my mark, but I didn’t do too bad either :P


18. What do you wish you’d done more of? I think I wish I would have seen more shows. All of my favorites are getting older. I’ll miss them when they’re gone. I hate to miss an opportunity.


19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Complaining. A good rant is the only manifestation in which complaining is interesting. Then it’s not complaining, it’s entertainment.


20. How did you spend Christmas last year? Last year I spent Christmas rather similarly to the way that I spent it this year. M’s parent’s house at around 4ish to hang out with them for a few hours and then out to my Grandmother’s house where we spent the evening not talking to my Aunt, Uncle and their children/child-in-law/grandchild. This year was very similar. Except they were there this time.

OH! And this year, for the first time since I was…born (?) I didn’t go see my father’s parents and, let me tell you, it was suh-weet.


21. Did you fall in love in 2008? Yes, with these.


22. What was your favorite TV program? Oh god. I think it had to be The Secret Life of the American Teenager. People – it’s even better – yes, better – than One Tree Hill for contrived and insane melodrama. Do you know why? Because they have a crazy Christian.


23. What did you do for your birthday in 2008? Oh my birthday ? This year was the big one that part of me has been looking forward to since I could count. 08.08.08. This year we went sky diving, glass blowing, pizza eating, junk shopping, sandcastle viewing/relative avoiding. Next year will be a let down. Unless we rent a bounce house….

24. What was the best book you read? I don’t often read new books. I read books – just not new ones. Mostly, I re-read the same half-dozen books again and again and absorb their wonderfulness. This year, however, I read Hugh Laurie’s book – The Gun Seller. It was fab.


25. What did you want and get? Everything. No, seriously. Aside from the afor mentioned problem with muffins + my waistline, this year was a banner year for setting and then achieving goals.


26. What did you want and not get? An easy job with ridiculously high pay that allows me to work from home and still spend my entire day surfing the internet for things completely non-job related. Oh, and it should have great benefits.


27. What was your favorite film of this year? I don’t watch a lot of new movies. Or, should I say, I do – but I don’t enjoy many of them as they were intended. (27 Dresses was fabulously bad for example.) The only movie I can remember seeing this year that was released this year that I liked would have to be Zach and Miri…and I really loved that movie until the last five minutes. Full frontal Jason Mewes is not something one should have sprung upon them.


28. Did you make some new friends this year? Yes.




No, really. I did. I made a few friends at work and a few friends online. I also managed to reconnect with some people I’d lost touch with.


29.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? No-calorie chocolate.


30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? My 2008 fashion goal was to dispose of all button downs. Sure, they’re great on some people. On others, they grab so badly in the chest, pull funny, shrink weird… Yuck. Goodbye button downs! Hello blouses!


31. What kept you sane? I think at some point this year, I relied on literally everyone I know – including people I don’t know very well. (What do you think that says for my sanity?)




32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? As usual, Hilary. And not just because she is a woman who ran for president – but because I love me some Hilary.


33. What political issue stirred you the most? The issue I’m always most likely to hit someone over would usually be the stuff of PEEJ and the Child Protection Act. But since that wasn’t the question, I would say the issue that has gotten me the most stirred up would be the economy – namely the people that were allowed, nay – encouraged, to spend themselves into a hole so deep they couldn’t see their way out and then were surprised and upset when the government bailed their banks out, but not them. Oh, and anyone who drives a fucking Hummer.

1 comment:

  1. My husband has the same dream you do about swimming in a room full of gold coins, Scrooge McDuck-style. He took his first step towards that dream when my parents bought him his first (and so far, only) gold coin for his law school graduation. Right now all he can do with it is fondle it, but I know he's picturing that swimming when he does.

    ReplyDelete